Thursday, October 12, 2006

Silent Humility

A few days ago in our Chapel Service (to view this chapel, click “Chapel Video” on Wednesday October 11, 2006 after clicking this link) the speaker, Dr. Jeffrey D. Johnson of Israel Today Ministries in Corpus Christi, TX acknowledged some folks who were so kind in helping him get situated prior to his speaking engagement here at the Seminary. One of those he thanked was a friend of mine. Joe (not really his name) has the responsibility, though it is really a privilege, of picking up the many incoming Chapel speakers from the airport and bringing them to the seminary. The speaker made a brief but heartfelt mention of thanks to him for his kindness in conversation and assistance; he thanked him by name before all the students and professors present. My friend happened to be sitting just across the aisle from where we were sitting. I glanced over at him knowing it was he who the speaker spoke of. Not to my surprise, his face indicated nothing... Allow me to make it clear that he had quite the possibility to make a slight nod or mention or anything that would indicate that he was the one the speaker thanked. In this world, it wouldn’t be too arrogant for him to have politely acknowledged the pastor’s thanks. It wouldn’t have been too self-righteous of him to simply smile. He made no nod; he smiled not. He did not indicate in any way that he was being thanked. Though I will say there was one thing for sure he “reeked” of, he might as well of had a sticker on his forehead that said: HUMBLE! Obviously, he didn’t. That would negate the very point I am making here. He was silently, and beautifully humble. Later, I asked him about it. I asked him, “Hey man, that was you he was talking about wasn’t it?” As peacefully and meekly as he could he said, “Yeah.” He immediately turned the conversation away from himself and asked me how my day was going. That was the end of it. I responded accordingly and we went on our ways.
This man’s humility amazed me. I was amazed that he was so inclined to be kind and respectful, Christ-like to say it best, to this stranger (the speaker) and then to be thanked by the speaker in front of a ton of his fellow students, humbly receiving it! I know this may be a “duh” kind of situation; this kind of things is “common” amongst our Christian brethren. I have to say though, there certainly seems to be a fair dose of arrogance floating around the Christian society, I certainly do not exclude Seminary folk. Now, I’m not saying everyone’s arrogant and self-centered or anything. I’m just pointing out that the level of intellect here at the Seminary, and the wider world for that matter, could easily have the “Big Head” syndrome. Anyhow, this fellow is to be praised for his humility, surely God was blessed and proud of His good and faithful child! May all of us be blessed with the willingness and desire to serve, most of all doing so in silent, worshipful humility…

1 Addendums:

At 5:19 PM, October 13, 2006, Blogger Unknown chimed in saying

Preach!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home